Monday, July 27, 2009

Venice Biennale

An artist I enjoyed at the Biennale was Pavel Pepperstein and his work depicting images of the future. I particularly liked his work because all his pieces seemed to have a strange but fun story behind them. His images had a beautiful subtle color and to me it almost felt like i was reading a very strange, apocalyptic childrens book. His imagination of the future made me wonder if his view of it was optimistic or pessimistic. There were clouds talking to each other which seemed very endearing and yet there were images of old houses shooting lasers at skyscrapers-- is that a good or bad thing?

His work displayed at the main Biennale and Russian pavilion were completely opposite, but not at all in a negative way. In the main pavilion his pieces were on the white wall, but in the Russian pavilion the pieces were shrouded in the dark, lit by black lights and surrounded by pounding techno music proclaiming that Russia was going to take over the world. A very interesting contrast in display and honestly just plain fun. It went well with the "Victory Over the Future" title for the Russian pavilion.

What helped me enjoy Pepperstein's work is also the fact that all the text in his work is in English. It made me wonder if I would still have been more intrigued by his work if I didn't understand what the clouds were saying to each other. It's something I'm still curious about actually...

No comments:

Post a Comment